Tuesday, October 25, 2011

In the beginning...

Welcome to Images of Creation.

This blog is an outlet for my astronomy hobby, and especially my astro-photography. My plan is to put up images, and to talk a bit about the specific technologies and techniques that I've used to create them.

A huge kick came late this summer, when after a decade, I finally reached the top of the Astro-Physics waiting list, and was able to purchase a 130mm f/6.3 EDF “Gran Turismo” apochromatic refractor. This, together with my AP 400GTO mount (a bit underspec'ed, I know, but I'd intended to buy the Traveller), and my Canon 40D DSLR are the major components of my imaging kit.

Most of my observing has been done from my front lawn in suburban Homewood, Illinois.

4 comments:

  1. so there's a ten-year waiting list
    to purchase this particular piece of equipment?

    wow

    talk about patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,

    Thank you for your comments!

    I suppose that if I'd have known how long the wait would be, I wouldn't have signed up. So I'm not sure that it's so much patience as the passage of time (which was going to pass anyway) that came into play. The AP folks are great, but they're not particularly transparent when it comes to how long you'll be on the waiting list. Once I figured out that it would be a while, I got a Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain and used it. So it's not as if the time was wasted.

    The Schmidt-Cass was a good scope, not a great scope. I did a little bit of Astrophotography with it, and got good pictures, not great pictures. The AP seems capable of delivering consistently great pictures. The limits are on my end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete