Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Jupiter

This was my first attempt at eyepiece projection. The eyepiece was a 12mm University Optics Abbe Ortho, so if I work with the assumption that the set-back on the eyepiece is 90mm (I haven't yet measured it), the scope was working at 6142mm, or 122x.
I took a run of 32 images—I'd intended to do 99, but inadvertently hit the start/stop button on the remote timer. I have much to learn!

Lynkeos, an astronomical image stacking program for Mac OS X, was used for image alignment, stacking, and processing. I was a bit disappointed by Lynkeos's measurements of image quality, and I got much better results when I hand-picked images of particularly good focus. It may be that I'm not doing the analysis correctly.

Observing conditions were good, not great. There was no moon, and little cloudiness, but seeing and transparency were only 3/5 each, per the Canadian Meteorological Center's model.

3 comments:

  1. nice picture

    are the colors natural?

    i remember looking through someone's telescope
    at saturn and its rings
    and being disappointed that it looked albino
    instead of looking like the beautiful
    color pictures i had seen in textbooks

    i like the title of this blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,

    > are the colors natural?

    Pretty much. I pushed the contrast a bit, which had the effect of increasing the saturation by a bit too. There's a huge difference between visual observing and photographic observing when it comes to color. Visual observing (unless you have a really big scope -- think meter class) isn't going to show much color. It has to do with the nature of the human visual systems: we just need more photons to perceive color.

    Cameras work differently. and moreover have the advantage of longer potential exposures.

    > i like the title of this blog

    Thanks! I'll try to keep the content up, but clear skies are a sometimes thing around here :-).

    ReplyDelete